History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castlehaw Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3267 / 54°19'36"N

Longitude: -2.5208 / 2°31'14"W

OS Eastings: 366227

OS Northings: 492468

OS Grid: SD662924

Mapcode National: GBR BLVD.1S

Mapcode Global: WH944.7HWY

Entry Name: Castlehaw Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484517

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Built-Up Area: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Millthrop

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD6692 CASTLEHAW LANE
162-1/17/276 (East side)
16/03/54 Castlehaw Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLEHAW LANE
Castlehaw Farmhouse and barns to
south-east)

GV II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1701 on porch; altered and
recently radically renovated. Mixed random rubble with
slobbered pointing, sandstone quoins and stone slate roof.
L-plan formed by a single-depth 2-unit main range with a
service wing to the rear of the 2nd unit (probably added at an
early date) and a staircase outshut in the angle with this.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic, 6 windows, with stone slate
bands over both floors (the upper with returned ends). The
ground floor has a gabled porch offset right of centre, with a
moulded Tudor-arched opening, lintel with raised lettering "W
/ 17 R M 01", pigeon holes above this, kneelers (no coping), a
small peephole in each side, inner side benches and a board
door with strap hinges; three 2-light mullioned windows to the
left, and a 3-light and a 2-light mullioned window to the
right. The 1st floor has five 2-light windows and a 1-light
window at the right-hand end. All these windows have renewed
surrounds and mullions except that to the left of the porch
and both to the right at ground floor, which have chamfered
reveals and cavetto mullions. Rebuilt gable chimneys. The
right-hand gable wall has a shallow projection to the centre
of the ground floor, and 2 small attic windows. The rear wing
is set back, has a lean-to porch in the angle, above this the
wall is canted in at the junction to expose a 1-light window
in the rear wall of the main range; otherwise, this wing has 2
altered windows at ground floor, a chamfered 1-light window
above, and its rear gable has a chimney corbelled from 1st
floor.
INTERIOR: contemporary panelled partitioning at 1st floor of
main range and across rear wall of wing (probably to screen
former smokehood), removed during restoration and re-instated:
but it is not known if it is now in the original positions.
Similar partitioning has recently been inserted at ground
floor.
Forms a group with associated barn to south-east (qv).


Listing NGR: SD6622792468

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.