History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thorns Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3246 / 54°19'28"N

Longitude: -2.5183 / 2°31'5"W

OS Eastings: 366386

OS Northings: 492238

OS Grid: SD663922

Mapcode National: GBR BLVF.LJ

Mapcode Global: WH944.9K1J

Entry Name: Thorns Cottage

Listing Date: 3 April 1990

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384220

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484653

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Built-Up Area: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD6692 THORNS LANE
162-1/17/329 (East side)
03/04/90 Thorns Cottage
(Formerly Listed as:
Thorns Cottage)

II

House. c1700, much altered in 1896-7 (datestones). Various
local stones, roughly coursed; stone slab roof.
PLAN: formerly a laithe house, the house of 2 units, with a
central cross passage, the laithe undergoing some alterations
at time of inspection (February 1990). To this was added a
south porch and a storeyed porch to the north, all in a
picturesque "medieval" style.
EXTERIOR: south (garden) front of house, 2 storeys and 3 bays,
symmetrical, the centre projected to form a storeyed porch
with curved angles, stepped parapet with coping and cornice
band, rustic Venetian window to 1st floor, the doorway under a
shaped stone canopy, deeply-recessed side windows under
round-headed arches, the whole porch oddly detailed with
careful use of varied coloured stone. Side bays with mullioned
3- and 2-light casement windows to ground and first floors
respectively, the mullions corbelled to support slightly
projecting top lights. Chimneys at both ends of house, both
with moulded caps and that to the left, perhaps originally
corbelled but now external throughout. Rear: storeyed wing
crenellated with diagonally placed corner turret;
irregularly-disposed windows, one (to north) with pointed
arch. To the west, in the angle of the wing and the main
range, is a small attached round tower. The rear wall of the
main range has 3 windows in deep reveals, and eaves with
shaped stone corbels. Laithe (barn) with simple windows in
stone surrounds (presumably early C19 insertions).
INTERIOR: refurbished 1897 in eccentric style: much panelling
and planking to walls, some set diagonally and herringbone
fashion; panelled and coffered ceilings, that to the entrance
hall with moulded and chamfered beams. Stairs with green
ironwork railings which rise to form an open dome over the
stairwell. First-floor rooms all similarly treated, one with
an internal porch in free C17 style. The designs are highly
unusual, especially for Cumbria, and may well be the work of
the late-C19 owner, T Hewetson.


Listing NGR: SD6638692238

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.