History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Low Beckside Farmhouse and Attached Peat House and Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3547 / 54°21'17"N

Longitude: -2.4741 / 2°28'26"W

OS Eastings: 369284

OS Northings: 495569

OS Grid: SD692955

Mapcode National: GBR CL52.5Q

Mapcode Global: WH93Y.ZS0Z

Entry Name: Low Beckside Farmhouse and Attached Peat House and Barn

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384102

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484534

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD69NE CAUTLEY ROAD
162-1/2/296 (West side (off))
14/06/84 Low Beckside Farmhouse and attached
peat-house and barn
(Formerly Listed as:
CAUTLEY ROAD
Low Beckside)

GV II

Farmhouse with attached peat-house and barn. Probably late C17
(contains court-cupboard dated 1683), enlarged to rear in C19,
and altered. House is cement-washed rubble with quoins,
graduated blue slate roof with stone riggings and stone gable
coping to right. Single-depth 2-unit plan on north-south axis,
facing east, with continuous addition to rear; peat-house and
barn attached to south end.
EXTERIOR: 2 low storeys, 2 windows, almost symmetrical, with a
stone-slate drip-course over the ground floor. In the centre,
an added single-storey gabled porch with a square-headed outer
opening, a splayed peep-hole in the left side and stone side
benches, protects a Tudor-arched inner doorway with a
double-layered plank door; to the left is a small square
4-pane sashed window, to the right a large square 3-light
window (early C20), and at 1st floor above these are 2 square
16-pane hornless sashes; and there are 2 smaller blocked
windows at 1st floor, one offset right above the porch and the
other to the right of the 2nd window, both with wooden
lintels. Offset left above the porch is a square recess as if
for a datestone. Ridge chimney at junction to left, gable
chimney to right. C19 addition to rear. Peat-house continues
to left, and small barn is attached to this.
INTERIOR: stone lateral partition wall to left of doorway, and
built into this a carved court cupboard with initials "I F" (=
Isobel Fawcett) and date 1683; C19 panelled partition to
housepart on right, which has 2 roughly-chamfered lateral
beams approx. 2m apart, that to the right with a pair of
gun-rings and that to left with fitted shelves on both sides
(for cheeses); spice-cupboard to right of chimney breast, and
in front wall to right of this a C19 cupboard built into
former fire-window opening; bacon-hooks in ceiling.


Listing NGR: SD6928495569

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.