History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stone Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3296 / 54°19'46"N

Longitude: -2.5063 / 2°30'22"W

OS Eastings: 367172

OS Northings: 492786

OS Grid: SD671927

Mapcode National: GBR BLYC.6Q

Mapcode Global: WH944.GFRQ

Entry Name: Stone Hall

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384219

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484652

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD6792 STONEHALL LANE, Soolbank
162-1/18/440 (North side)
16/03/54 Stone Hall

II*

Farmhouse, now house. Formerly dated 1695 on porch; altered.
Random blue ragstone rubble, slobbered, with some sandstone
dressings, graduated green slate roof. Modified L-plan formed
by single-depth 2-unit main range with prominent storeyed
porch, service wing to rear of 2nd unit.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic, 1:1:2 windows, almost
symmetrical, with a 3-storey gabled porch in the centre. The
porch has a doorway with Tudor-arched lintel protected by a
hoodmould (and C20 glazed door), a rectangular 16-pane fixed
window at 1st floor filling the opening of a former 2-light
mullioned window with double-chamfered reveal and a
stone-slate hoodmould. Above this a small datestone panel, a
2-light double-chamfered mullioned window at attic level with
small-paned glazing and a hoodmould, gable coping with
kneelers, and a small 1-light window at 1st floor of the left
side. Flanking the porch the main range has replacement sashed
windows on each floor, with margin panes. On each floor
immediately to the right of the porch are remains of 2-light
mullioned windows and further to the right the ground floor
has a 2-light mullioned window and the 1st floor has a
chamfered 1-light window. Gable copings with kneelers, large
gable chimneys, that to the left of one stage and that to the
right 2 stages and on corbels, both with stone-slate bands and
cylindrical shafts. Left (west) gable wall has painted render,
and attic windows of 1 and 2 lights. Right-hand return has
(inter alia) an added stone porch, attic windows flanking the
chimney (now with plastic glazing), and the rear wing has a
2-light window at ground floor, a 1-light window above this
and a corbelled chimney with cylindrical shaft.
INTERIOR: former housepart (right) and parlour (left), now in
one (the former partition removed), contain 4 chamfered
lateral beams; housepart has muntin-and-plank rear partition
wall, a very large rectangular stone fireplace with corbelled
lintel, and a built-in cupboard to the right of this; former
kitchen to rear of housepart; closed-string splat-baluster
staircase; upper-cruck roof trusses to both ranges (3 in main
range, 2 in rear wing), all with sharply elbowed blades. (C20
staircase inserted in upper floors of rear wing.)


Listing NGR: SD6717292786

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.