History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The School House and Numbers 1 and 2 School Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitfield, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.4363 / 53°26'10"N

Longitude: -1.9463 / 1°56'46"W

OS Eastings: 403667

OS Northings: 393277

OS Grid: SK036932

Mapcode National: GBR GXVP.FX

Mapcode Global: WHB9T.2WHK

Plus Code: 9C5WC3P3+GF

Entry Name: The School House and Numbers 1 and 2 School Buildings

Listing Date: 4 December 1958

Last Amended: 22 May 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384256

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484690

Location: Whitfield, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13

County: Derbyshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Whitfield

Built-Up Area: Glossop

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Whitfield St James

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


SK0393SE HAGUE STREET, Whitfield
921-1/15/106 (West side)
04/12/58 The School House and Nos.1 and 2
School Buildings
(Formerly Listed as:
(West side)
Joseph Hague School)


School and schoolmaster's house now 3 dwellings. 1779,
refenestrated mid C19, converted late C20. Narrow coursed
millstone grit with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof, stone
stacks and gabled bellcote to left gable with pilasters and
ball finial.
EXTERIOR: school originally one storey, now 2 storey, master's
house 3 storey. Street front has irregular 4 window facade,
arranged 3:1. Former school to left has single pointed arched
doorway to left with small painted ornamental plaque above
with beehive and floriated bearers, to right 3 pointed arched
windows, the centre one now blocked. Above 3 pointed arched
openings, the outer ones with windows and the centre one with
inscribed plaque which reads:-
"This school was erected and endowed by JOSEPH HAGUE Esquire,
of Park Hall in this Parish as a testimony of Gratitude to
ALMIGHTY GOD for his favour and Blessings through a life of
years whereby he was enabled to accumulate an ample fortune
and make a plentiful Provision for his numerous Relations and
Dependents. Anno Domini 1779."
All windows have C20 uPVC casements. Pointed arched doorway to
left, with small painted ornamental plaque above with beehive
and floriated bearers. Former master's house to right, single
window, 3 storey. Single doorway with heavy lintel and
rusticated surround, and above single 16-pane casement window
in painted surround and above again single 12-pane casement in
similar surround.
Rear elevation has 2 pointed arched windows to each floor of
former school with inserted C20 uPVC casements. Attached 2
unit, 3 storey master's house, at lower level, has rear front
with garage door to right and above single 2-light and single
3-light mullioned windows to each of the upper floors.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
This school was originally endowed in 1779 by Joseph Hague, a
local cotton manufacturer.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 219).

Listing NGR: SK0366793277

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.