This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.327 / 52°19'37"N
Longitude: 1.6822 / 1°40'55"E
OS Eastings: 650997
OS Northings: 276260
OS Grid: TM509762
Mapcode National: GBR YX4.03S
Mapcode Global: VHM76.3SN0
Entry Name: Whitehall and Guardship
Listing Date: 22 November 1971
Last Amended: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484856
Location: Southwold, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP18
Civil Parish: Southwold
Built-Up Area: Southwold
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Southwold St Edmund, King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM5076 ST JAMES' GREEN
588-1/7/130 (North side)
Whitehall and Guardship
(Formerly Listed as:
ST JAMES' GREEN
House, now two dwellings. Early C19, altered later in C19;
rear gable wall rebuilt, subdivided and altered further in
late C20. Coursed pebbles with brick dressings, whitewashed;
roof of black-glazed pantiles with two rebuilt ridge stacks.
EXTERIOR: single-storey 3-bay front, outer bays forming
flanking screen walls to gabled centre bay. Recessed beneath
deep gable eaves is plank door with overlight to right of 12/8
unhorned sash window with 2-centred arched head. Windows in
flanking bays are 6/6 unhorned sashes. Flanking bays are
finished with plain parapets with ball and pedestal finials at
the outer ends. Gable apex has similar finial. Windows all
have louvred shutters.
Right return: central half-glazed door flanked by one 6/6
horned sash to right and left.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
In late C19 and early C20 the building was the coastguard
(Lenny JG: Map of Southwold: Southwold: 1839-).
Listing NGR: TM5099776260
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings