History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Centre Cliff

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwold, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.325 / 52°19'29"N

Longitude: 1.6807 / 1°40'50"E

OS Eastings: 650907

OS Northings: 276033

OS Grid: TM509760

Mapcode National: GBR YX3.CQ1

Mapcode Global: VHM76.2TVJ

Entry Name: Centre Cliff

Listing Date: 21 April 1949

Last Amended: 30 March 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384441

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484875

Location: Southwold, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP18

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Southwold

Built-Up Area: Southwold

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Southwold St Edmund, King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Southwold

Listing Text


SOUTHWOLD

TM5076 SOUTH GREEN
588-1/7/127 (North side)
21/04/49 Centre Cliff: Nos.1 AND 2
(Formerly Listed as:
SOUTH GREEN
(North side)
Centre Cliff)

GV II

Also known as: Nos.1 AND 2 Dolphin House (No.1) SOUTH GREEN
Centre Cliff.
Main block of town house; now two dwellings. 1829; subdivided
and rebuilt at rear in 1949 following war damage. For Rev.
Thomas Sheriffe. Stuccoed brick; slate roof with panelled
stacks at each end and at rear.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay front, centre bay breaking forward
slightly: each bay inset between pilaster strips. Central
projecting single-storey porch on two Ionic columns with plain
entablature, now glazed. Above, French doors on first floor
open to porch balcony with cast-iron railings. Ground floor
has French windows, those to left of porch without glazing
bars. Remaining four first-floor windows are 6/6 unhorned
sashes. Dentilled eaves cornice beneath balustraded parapet
broken by pedestal piers supporting free-standing shell
finials.
INTERIOR: No.1 Centre Cliff only inspected. Closed-string
staircase with turned balusters inserted 1978. Panelled
hardwood doors. First-floor landing has plaster frieze copied
from the Elgin marbles.
Previous list description (1971) refers to staircase with
wrought-iron balustrade and ceiling with enriched spandrels,
lit from octagonal lantern. Marble pilasters with Corinthian
caps. One room with elaborate panelled and enriched ceiling.


Listing NGR: TM5090776033

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.