History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Divine

A Grade II Listed Building in Pemberton, Wigan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.537 / 53°32'13"N

Longitude: -2.6829 / 2°40'58"W

OS Eastings: 354839

OS Northings: 404696

OS Grid: SD548046

Mapcode National: GBR 9WPJ.ZT

Mapcode Global: WH86S.RCMB

Entry Name: Church of St John the Divine

Listing Date: 8 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384458

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484892

Location: Wigan, WN5

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Pemberton

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Pemberton St John

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Upholland

Listing Text


WIGAN

SD50SW CHURCH STREET, Lamberhead Green
24-1/4/130 (East side)
Church of St John the Divine

II

Church. 1830-32, by Rickman and Hutchinson (dated 1832 at west
end). Red brick in English garden wall bond, with sandstone
dressings and slate roof. Gothick style.
PLAN: 9-bay nave with galleried north and south aisles under
carried-down roofs (except to the westernmost bay), short
sanctuary.
EXTERIOR: the gabled west facade, which is symmetrical, has
clasping corner pilasters, with a small blind lancet in each,
terminating as stone turrets which have louvred lancets and
embattled parapets; a shallow gabled porch in the centre with
buttresses, a 2-centred arched double-chamfered doorway and a
steeply-pitched gable (with shield dated 1832) rising into the
centre light of the west window, which is a stepped
triple-lancet with hood-moulds; a small louvred lancet above,
and a stone parapet. The aisles, of 8 narrow bays with simple
buttresses which have one offset and a gablet, have one tall
lancet in each bay, with sillband and hood-mould, and parapets
carried round from the front, and a shallow porch in the
westernmost bay, that on the south side with a 2-centred
arched moulded stone doorway and that on the north side
simpler. The sanctuary, of one short bay, has a stepped triple
lancet east window (and C20 additions at ground floor level).
INTERIOR: vestibule with symmetrical winding stone staircases
to the gallery; 3-sided gallery of 6 x 3 bays with a
square-panelled wooden front, supported, by slender cast-iron
columns with annular caps and linked by wide segmental arches
with open spandrels; moulded plaster wall corbels to a flat
ceiling with moulded ribs; original pitch-pine pews with brass
umbrella.
Forms group with boundary wall to churchyard (qv).

Listing NGR: SD5483904696

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.