This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.546 / 53°32'45"N
Longitude: -2.6333 / 2°38'0"W
OS Eastings: 358130
OS Northings: 405673
OS Grid: SD581056
Mapcode National: GBR BW1F.PL
Mapcode Global: WH97Y.J47C
Entry Name: Old Bluecoat School
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484888
Location: Wigan, WN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Wigan All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
BISHOPGATE (East side)
Old Bluecoat School
Church Little House, c.mid C18, later used by a charity school, and more recently as a garage/workshop then latterly as an exhibition room. The Bluecoat school was founded 1773, but the building appears earlier; reference is made in church accounts of 1743 to the 'Church Little House', which is thought to be this building. It was probably restored in C19, remodelled and reduced from 2 storeys since 1951. Coursed sandstone rubble, slate roof. Now a single cell with canted outshut to rear.
EXTERIOR: Gabled single-storey 2-window facade to Bishopgate, symmetrical, with square-headed doorway (now blocked with stone) flanked by mullioned 2-light windows, all these openings with double-chamfered surrounds and hood-moulds; double-chamfered lancet in gable above (now ventilator). 2-window right-hand (south) side has former left window enlarged as garage doorway but now filled by a modern door, and to the right a cross-window, both these openings with hood-moulds; and a blocked cellar window below the latter. Rear gable has extruded chimney; outshut has cross-window in east end.
INTERIOR: Fixed to the interior of the eastern gable wall is the timber frame of one bay of a (probably) C15 house, formerly at No.76 Standishgate (not included). The frame incorporates a 4-centred arched doorway and chevron patterning. King post truss to the roof.
Forms part of important group centred on Church of All Saints (qv).
Listing NGR: SD5813005673
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings