This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5455 / 53°32'43"N
Longitude: -2.6328 / 2°37'58"W
OS Eastings: 358164
OS Northings: 405610
OS Grid: SD581056
Mapcode National: GBR BW1F.SS
Mapcode Global: WH97Y.J4HT
Plus Code: 9C5VG9W8+5V
Entry Name: Head Post Office
Listing Date: 9 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384547
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484982
Location: Wigan, WN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Wigan All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
24-1/7/96 (West side)
Head Post Office
Post office. Dated 1884 over doorway; slightly altered
externally. Pink triassic sandstone ashlar at ground floor,
red brick in Flemish bond with sandstone dressings to the
upper floors, hipped slate roof. Rectangular plan with C20
extensions to rear. Free Renaissance style combining Italian
palazzo and Queen Anne Revival features.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic, 3:1 windows in 2 unequal bays;
moulded egg-and-dart cornice to ground floor, sillband to 2nd
floor, plain frieze and dentilled cornice, with attic gable
over wider 1st bay. The ground floor has a doorway to the left
in a fluted pilastered architrave with a raised panel on the
frieze inscribed "1884" and a swan-neck pediment with swag; a
large elliptical-headed window to the right with similar
fluted pilasters and a moulded extrados with keystone; and a
2-light window in the 2nd bay with moulded architrave. Both
upper floors have 3 tall windows in the 1st bay and pilastered
tripartite windows in the 2nd bay, all with moulded
architraves, those at 1st floor sashed without glazing bars
plus tilting casement openings in the heads, and those at 2nd
floor also sashed, mostly with glazing bars in the upper
leaves. The attic gable has an oculus in a voluted stone
archivolt, and gable coping with a finial.
3-storeyed rear extension of 1895, by WEV Crompton of Wigan.
Faced in glazed brick with terracotta dressings. Enriched
ground floor door and window openings and glazing bar sashes
to upper two storeys.
Forms group with pair of K6 Telephone Kiosks in front (qv),
Bees Knees Public House (qv) to the right, No.22 (qv) opposite
this, Nos 12-20 (qv) and Nos 6, 8 and 10 (qv) beyond these,
collectively having strong group value with Church of All
Saints (qv) and War Memorial (qv). Included for group value.
Listing NGR: SD5816405610
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings