This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5456 / 53°32'44"N
Longitude: -2.6323 / 2°37'56"W
OS Eastings: 358200
OS Northings: 405624
OS Grid: SD582056
Mapcode National: GBR BW1F.XQ
Mapcode Global: WH97Y.J4RQ
Entry Name: Former Yorkshire Bank
Listing Date: 8 December 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484979
Location: Wigan, WN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Wigan All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
24-1/7/94 (West side)
Former Yorkshire Bank
Bank, now betting office with offices over. Dated 1884 on
pediment over corner; by Isitt and Verity; ground floor
altered 1908 by Greenwood of Manchester; slightly altered in
C20. Red brick in Flemish bond with sandstone dressings,
ground floor mostly rebuilt in Jurassic limestone; green slate
mansard roof. Trapeziform plan on acutely-angled corner site.
Free Renaissance style.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic, with a featured one-window
corner and 2-window returns; with a granite plinth, channelled
ashlar ground floor with plain frieze and moulded cornice;
very prominent coved eaves cornice with carved festoons of
fruit, interrupted by attic gables at the corner and in the
2nd bay of each return. At ground floor the corner has a
round-headed doorway flanked by enriched Ionic columns with
prominent foliated consoles carrying a segmental canopy; the
2nd bay to the Wallgate facade (unaltered in 1908) has a large
doorway with carved sandstone surround including a large
oeil-de-boeuf overlight; otherwise, rectangular windows with
plain C20 glazing. On the upper floors, the featured corner
has a bowed mullion-and-transom oriel at 1st floor with
balustraded parapet, a 6-light mullion-and-transom window at
2nd floor, a 2-light attic window in a gable with swan-neck
pediment monogrammed "1884", and a pavilion roof behind this.
The right-hand return (to Wallgate) has a cross-window and a
large canted oriel at 1st floor, mullion-and-transom windows
at 2nd floor, and a 2-light attic window in a gable with
carved pediment; the left return has coupled windows in place
of the oriel but is otherwise similar.
INTERIOR not inspected. The offices were not occupied at the
time of the survey. Makes important contribution to
streetscape in close proximity to Church of All Saints (qv),
grouping also with Bees Knees Public House to left (qv), and
with Nos 12 to 20 (qv) adjoining to the right.
Listing NGR: SD5820005624
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings