This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5455 / 53°32'43"N
Longitude: -2.6294 / 2°37'45"W
OS Eastings: 358392
OS Northings: 405614
OS Grid: SD583056
Mapcode National: GBR BW2F.JR
Mapcode Global: WH97Y.L44S
Entry Name: 48, Millgate
Listing Date: 12 November 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384499
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484933
Location: Wigan, WN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Wigan St George
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
24-1/7/49 (East side)
Town house, now shop. Late C17 with mid C18 refronting and
remodelling, subsequently further altered and probably
reduced. Probably for Alexander Radcliffe. Handmade red brick
in Flemish bond with sandstone plinth and dressings, slate
roof with cut-down C20 brick chimneys. Double-depth
double-fronted plan. Georgian.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellar (but probably originally 3
storeys), 5 windows, symmetrical; with a chamfered plinth,
rusticated quoins and C19 gutter on brackets. Central doorway
with good pedimented doorcase of engaged Ionic columns with
dentilled cornice and modillioned pediment; sashed windows
without glazing bars at ground floor, unhorned 12-pane sashes
at 1st floor, all with raised sills and wedge lintels which
have raised keystones and voussoirs. East gable wall with
remains of brick drip moulds and bands.
INTERIOR: good C18 staircase, half-turn with landing, with cut
string, scrolled brackets, 3 slim turned balusters per tread,
and ramped moulded handrail; at 1st floor, fielded panel
doorcases, and similarly panelled reveals to windows of
right-hand front room (with window seats); in rear right-hand
room a beam with quarter-round moulding (unstopped) and a
fireplace with shouldered surround.
HISTORY: probably the house built for Alexander Radcliffe,
Mayor of Wigan in 1771, 1776 and 1779, shown in a watercolour
painting by Thomas Whitehouse, 1826, now displayed in Wigan
Local History Library.
Listing NGR: SD5839205614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings