History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trencherfield Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Douglas, Wigan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5411 / 53°32'28"N

Longitude: -2.6378 / 2°38'16"W

OS Eastings: 357831

OS Northings: 405132

OS Grid: SD578051

Mapcode National: GBR BW0H.QB

Mapcode Global: WH97Y.G844

Entry Name: Trencherfield Mill

Listing Date: 14 May 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384508

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484942

Location: Wigan, WN3

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Douglas

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan St James with St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Wigan

Listing Text


WIGAN

SD50NE POTTERY ROAD
24-1/2/57 (South side)
14/05/97 Trencherfield Mill

GV II

Cotton spinning mill, now textile workshop, warehouse, museum,
offices etc. 1907-8, by Potts, Son and Hennings, for William
Woods & Son Ltd.; altered. Iron and steel frame with cladding
of red brick in English garden wall bond with dressings of
buff terracotta (roof concealed but probably asphalt). Very
large main range with tower at north-east corner, engine house
attached at right angles near south end of east side with
boiler house in south angle of this (and C20 tourist shop
attached to north side). Simplified Edwardian Baroque style.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and approximately 15 bays, 2 windows per
bay, with brick pilasters, the top floor featured with a
sillband, terracotta enrichment to the pilasters, 3-light
windows with blocked colonnette mullions, and parapet
upstands. Rectangular corner tower with various windows
including keyed oculi, and a 3-stage turret with a cornice to
the 1st stage, terracotta panels to the 2nd stage lettered
"1907" with open pediments above, and a square top stage,
banded, with a 3-light window in each side and a steep
pyramidal roof. 3-storey 8-window engine house with
round-headed windows at 1st floor level and oculi at 2nd floor
level, all keyed, in east end a very large lunette with 3
similar oculi above, and hipped roof.
INTERIOR: original 1906 4-cylinder triple-expansion tandem
steam engine by J & E Woods of Bolton, in working order.

Listing NGR: SD5783105132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.