History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Royal Bank of Scotland

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigan Central, Wigan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5453 / 53°32'43"N

Longitude: -2.6326 / 2°37'57"W

OS Eastings: 358176

OS Northings: 405593

OS Grid: SD581055

Mapcode National: GBR BW1F.VT

Mapcode Global: WH97Y.J4LY

Plus Code: 9C5VG9W8+4W

Entry Name: Former Royal Bank of Scotland

Listing Date: 8 December 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384549

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484984

Location: Wigan Central, Wigan, WN1

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Tagged with: Bank building

Find accommodation in


This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/12/17

SD 5805 NW,

WALLGATE (West side),
Nos. 30 and 32,
Former Royal Bank of Scotland

(Formerly Listed as: The Royal Bank of Scotland)



Former Bank with chambers above. Dated 1890 on 1st-floor oriel, by
Isitt and Verity; altered at ground floor. Polished grey
granite to ground floor, red brick in Flemish bond with
sandstone dressings above; hipped roof of graduated green
slates. Elongated plan at right-angles to street,
incorporating through-passage to right (access to chambers).
Free Renaissance style.

EXTERIOR: Three storeys and attic, three windows, symmetrical above
ground floor; with cornice to ground floor, brick pilasters to
upper floors, frieze with swags over the pilasters, dentilled
cornice, Dutch gable to centre flanked by tall panelled and
corniced chimneys and pedimented gables to the outer bays. The
ground floor has an arcade of four round-headed windows, the first
three with pulvinated aprons (the 4th formerly a doorway altered
as a window) and a round-headed archway to the passage to the
right, all with stepped voussoirs and moulded keystones, the
windows with altered glazing and the archway with C20 iron
gates. The 1st floor has three large canted mullion-and-transom
oriels, all with arched centre lights, carved aprons,
pulvinated friezes (that in the centre lettered "1890"),
dentilled cornices and balustraded parapets (that in the
centre with a pedimented panel, carved and monogrammed); the
second floor has mullion-and-transom windows with raised stone
surrounds including central pediments with enrichment (that in
the centre semicircular); all these windows with leaded
stained glass in the upper lights. The attic has a
cross-window in the centre and Venetian windows in the outer
gables. The passage walls are faced with glazed buff
terracotta tiling, with a panelled dado and blind arcading
INTERIOR not inspected.

Forms group with Head Post Office (qv) adjoining to right, The
Bees Knees Public House (qv) right of that, No.22 (qv)
opposite this, and Nos 12 to 20 (qv) and 6, 8 and 10 (qv)
beyond these; collectively grouped with Church of All Saints
(qv) and War Memorial (qv). Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SD5817605593

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.