History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Albert Edward Infirmary with Attached Kitchen to Rear

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigan Central, Wigan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5578 / 53°33'27"N

Longitude: -2.629 / 2°37'44"W

OS Eastings: 358427

OS Northings: 406977

OS Grid: SD584069

Mapcode National: GBR BW29.MC

Mapcode Global: WH97R.LT9X

Plus Code: 9C5VH95C+49

Entry Name: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary with Attached Kitchen to Rear

Listing Date: 24 August 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384571

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485006

Location: Wigan, WN1

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in



24-1/2/122 (West side)
24/08/94 Royal Albert Edward Infirmary, with
attached kitchen to rear


Main entrance block of hospital. Dated 1873 on porch; altered
and extended. Red brick in Flemish bond with some blue brick,
sandstone dressings, slate mansard roofs. T-plan formed by
main range facing east with rear wing (housing kitchen).
Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus tower, 3 wide bays, symmetrical:
recessed centre with central tower flanked by square wings
with gabled centres breaking forwards. Chamfered plinth,
chamfered sillbands and 4 blue brick bands to both floors, and
machicolated eaves cornice. The centre has a rectangular porch
with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet and 2-centred
arched doorway with chunky semi-columns which have stiff-leaf
caps, an extrados inscribed "OPENED BY THEIR ROYAL HIGHNESSES
THE PRINCE & PRINCESS OF WALES JUNE 4, 1873", a hood-mould and
a steep gable rising through the parapet with a carved shield
in the apex. Above the porch is a 2-centred arch with
polychrome head containing a window of 2 arched lights; above
this a square tower with a lancet window, machicolation, a
clockface under a gablet, and a saddleback roof. The wings
each have a rectangular bay window at ground floor and a tall
2-centred arched window above, both with 3-light sashes.
Kitchen wing to rear.
INTERIOR: entrance hall lined with marble tablets listing

Listing NGR: SD5842706977

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.