History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milward Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Keynsham, Bath and North East Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4148 / 51°24'53"N

Longitude: -2.5038 / 2°30'13"W

OS Eastings: 365061

OS Northings: 168538

OS Grid: ST650685

Mapcode National: GBR JV.Q2X1

Mapcode Global: VH88W.KP6S

Entry Name: Milward Almshouses

Listing Date: 17 July 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485038

Location: Keynsham, Bath and North East Somerset, BS31

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Keynsham

Built-Up Area: Keynsham

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Keynsham

Listing Text


KEYNSHAM

ST6568 CHARLTON ROAD
739-1/4/29 (North side)
Nos.62-68 (Even)
Milward Almshouses

II

Four almshouses in single composition. Dated on plaque 1885.
Founded by Alfred Milward. Rock-faced squared and coursed
rubble with ashlar dressings and ridge stacks; clay tile roof
with contrasting bands of fish-scale tiles and plain tiles;
wooden bargeboards.
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: double-depth plan, with four units composed within a
symmetrical composition.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey; 4-window range. South facade with
projecting gabled wings to each end and central recessed 2-bay
section with smaller half-dormer gables through the eaves
line. Ground-floor windows are 3-light mullions with
Carnarvon-arched heads, dripstones and small-pane casements;
upper floor has similar windows of 2 lights. Central 2 bays
have a lean-to porch extending between the flanking wings. 2
plank doors to centre, further plank doors in gabled porches
to each return facade. The high level of ornamentation
includes rusticated quoins, decorative tiled roof, 2 elaborate
coats of arms to each wing between windows, ammonites set
below the gables of each wing and a central plaque with
inscription recording the foundation of the building by Alfred
Milward to house aged married couples.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: 1885 is late for this kind of vernacular
Gothic style, but the building is a good and remarkably
well-preserved example of its type.

Listing NGR: ST6506168538

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.