This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9028 / 50°54'9"N
Longitude: -3.4892 / 3°29'21"W
OS Eastings: 295378
OS Northings: 112531
OS Grid: SS953125
Mapcode National: GBR LH.RKVL
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.6H2
Entry Name: Lamp Standard on Traffic Island at Junction with St Peter Street
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485191
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9512 ANGEL HILL, Tiverton
848-1/6/107 Lamp standard on traffic island at
junction with St Peter Street
(Formerly Listed as:
ST PETER STREET, Tiverton
Lamp stand on traffic island at
junction with Angel Hill)
Includes: Lamp standard on traffic island at junction with St
Peter Street ANGEL HILL.
Lamp standard. Dated 1878; by GS Bridgman. Cast-iron, standing
on a 4-tiered, chamfered stone plinth. The shaft is in Gothic
style, consisting of 2 super-imposed sets of clustered columns
with enriched capitals. From the upper of these spring 2 large
foliated scrolls carrying 3 lamps; the latter have been
renewed in late C20. The base, which is held together by an
iron strap, is carved with the inscription: ERECTED BY J LANE
ESQRE JP AD 1878. Below this in smaller letters is GS BRIDGMAN
ARCH. Mr John Lane, a Tiverton draper, had been mayor in 1869.
In that year he had paid for the new town hall clock, and in
1877 subscribed »1,000 towards the cost of the new Baptist
chapel in Newport Street (qv). The architect for the latter
was GS Bridgman of Torquay.
A good example of its type, prominently situated in the
historic town centre.
Listing NGR: SS9537812531
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings