History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Slee's Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.903 / 50°54'10"N

Longitude: -3.489 / 3°29'20"W

OS Eastings: 295397

OS Northings: 112556

OS Grid: SS953125

Mapcode National: GBR LH.RKXP

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.6L8

Entry Name: Slee's Almshouses

Listing Date: 12 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384958

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485417

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9512 ST PETER STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/317 (East side)
12/02/52 Slee's Almshouses

GV II

Almshouses founded in 1610 by George Slee for six single
women. Probably renovated c1840s, C20 renovations. Stone
rubble and timber; slate roof gabled at the right end; end
stack with brick shaft.
PLAN: original plan was six single rooms, 3 on each floor and
in 1790 were described as having galleries in front "and the
lower as well as the upper rooms floored with timber. Behind
are small herb gardens but no chapel" (Dunsford). The gallery
is now glazed on the first floor.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 6-window front. 2 segmental
headed doorways on the front have probably renewed plank and
cover strip front doors. Pairs of segmental-headed windows
between the doors and at the outer ends of the front are
glazed with 2-light casements with square leaded panes. A
projection at the right end also has a plank and cover strip
front door.
The gallery frontal (renewed) is timber with plain sunk panels
and glazed above with eight continuous 2-light windows with
Tudor arched heads with square leaded panes and flat-faced
mullions with roll-mouldings.
HISTORY: in 1842 and 1847 the almshouses were described as in
a dilapidated state. A chest tomb to George Slee survives in
the parish church of St Peter between the chancel and the
north chancel chapel.
(Dunsford: Historical Memoirs of the Town of Tiverton: 1790-:
341; Harding Lt Col FGS: The History of Tiverton: 1847-: 80).


Listing NGR: SS9539712556

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.