This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.906 / 50°54'21"N
Longitude: -3.4862 / 3°29'10"W
OS Eastings: 295601
OS Northings: 112887
OS Grid: SS956128
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R6MY
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.1P9
Plus Code: 9C2RWG47+9G
Entry Name: East Devon College Hairdressing and Beauty Centre
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384755
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485213
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9512 BAMPTON STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/124 (West side)
Nos.80, 82 AND 84
East Devon College: Hairdressing and
College building, formerly a school. 1847. Red brick on a
plinth of squared stone blocks; right rear wing rendered.
Cast-iron window sills. Slated roof.
MATERIALS: red brick chimneys at each end of ridge; another
slightly off centre to right. Left-hand chimney has been
reduced in height; that at right-hand end has entablature
formed by projecting brick courses, and has been heightened in
later red brick. Middle chimney has a good pot with panelled
PLAN: long front range with rooms at either side of a central
through-passage; long rear wing to right, short one to left.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 6 windows with central doorway in ground
storey. 4 widely-spaced windows above. Raised, rendered band
between the storeys. Doorway has rendered surround; slightly
tilted, flat wooden hood on shaped brackets. Double plank
doors. Windows have segmental gauged arches, those in ground
storey containing 6-paned sashes with horns, while those above
have 2-light casements with diagonally-set, intersecting
`Tudor' glazing bars. The second windows from the left and
right in the ground storey appear to have replaced former
The original windows on either side of them have hoodmoulds
composed of planks supported by wooden corbels; a similar
feature appears on Heathcoat-built houses of about 1846 at
Nos 1-10 John's Terrace, Wellbrook Street (qv). Above the
central door is a segmental-headed plaque with moulded frame.
It is inscribed BREWIN SCHOOL PRESENTED WITH ENDOWMENT TO THE
TIVERTON SCHOOL BOARD A.D. 1877.
Rear wing to right has 2 tall mullioned-and-transomed windows
on its inner face; the window at the front end is complete
with diagonally-set, intersecting glazing bars, and a few of
these remain in the window at the rear end. Similar
upper-storey window in left rear wing.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: this was originally an infant school, built and
supported by Ambrose Brewin, John Heathcoat's partner and
son-in-law. In 1850 it was reputed to be attended by 100
children. Brewin's widow Caroline, handed over the school and
another in Chapel street to the School Board in 1877, together
with an endowment of »160 pa for their maintenance.
(White's Directory of Devon: 1850-: P.312; Harrod's Directory
of Devonshire: 1878-: P.662).
Listing NGR: SS9560112887
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings