This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9058 / 50°54'20"N
Longitude: -3.4812 / 3°28'52"W
OS Eastings: 295948
OS Northings: 112857
OS Grid: SS959128
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R7WP
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.3L3
Entry Name: Arts Annexe of East Devon College
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384796
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485255
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9512 CHAPEL STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/166 (South side)
Arts Annexe of East Devon College
Formerly known as: Brewin School CHAPEL STREET.
College building, originally a school. 1848, with late C19
addition at rear. Stone rubble with dressings of squared
stone; rear addition has red brick dressings. Lean-to at rear
of front range is rendered. Cast-iron window sills. Slated
roofs. Rendered chimney on lean-to behind main range.
PLAN: broad front range, probably only one room deep, with
entrance porch at left-hand end; small low range to left of
porch. Rear wing (to left) with added building at right angles
to it at the far end.
EXTERIOR: front range 2-storey; remainder single-storey.
4-window front. Tall ground-storey windows with raised
keystones. Raised band between storeys. In upper storey the 3
left-hand windows extend up to the eaves, but that on right is
shorter with a raised keystone. Ground-storey windows have
12-paned sashes; the 3 left-hand upper-storey windows have
6-paned sashes, while the shorter window to right has 8-paned
lower sash with one of 4 panes above. Gabled entrance porch
has round-arched doorway with raised keystone. Double doors
each leaf 4-panelled and fanlight with radial glazing-bars;
matching inner doors and fanlight. Plinth to right of porch
has 2 cast-iron ventilator-grilles, designed to resemble
Vitruvian scroll. Roof has deeply-projecting eaves-cornice;
ventilator to left of roof-ridge with ogee top and finial.
Gable-ends each have a round-headed window with raised
keystone; small-paned sashes. Low range to left of entrance
porch has 1 window at the front and 1 on its left side, both
with raised keystones to match the main range; 12-paned
sashes, except that the lower sash on the left side now has
only one glazing-bar (horizontal). Rear wing (both sides
visible from street) has on right side a triple-sashed window
with a small-paned glazing; flat arch with raised keystone. 2
similar windows on left side. The added building at
right-angles to the wing has in its right-hand end-wall 2 tall
windows with 2-paned sashes; lower building in front of it has
smaller window with 6-paned sashes. Rendered lean-to behind
front range has, in right side-wall, ground and upper-storey
windows with 2-light, 6-paned wood casements. Between the 2
middle upper-storey windows of the front range is a stone
plaque with segmental head, this being inscribed: BREWIN
SCHOOL, PRESENTED WITH ENDOWMENT TO THE TIVERTON SCHOOL BOARD
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: white's `Directory of Devonshire' described the
school in these terms: `There is another large and handsome
BRITISH SCHOOL, in Elmore street, built in 1848 by Ambrose
Brewin, Esq; and entirely supported by him, for the education
of about 100 boys and 50 girls, under a master, mistress and
six pupil teachers.' Brewin was John Heathcoat's partner; his
wife was Heathcoat's youngest daughter, Caroline. The
cast-iron window-sills are characteristic of Heathcoat's
housing in West Exe and were probably made in his foundry
there. Elmore Street was the old name for Chapel Street.
Listing NGR: SS9594812857
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings