History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elmore Congregational Church Including Front Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9054 / 50°54'19"N

Longitude: -3.4823 / 3°28'56"W

OS Eastings: 295868

OS Northings: 112816

OS Grid: SS958128

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R7M1

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.354

Entry Name: Elmore Congregational Church Including Front Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 10 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485256

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9512 CHAPEL STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/167 (North side)
Elmore Congregational Church,
including front boundary wall

GV II

Congregational Church. 1843. Squared grey stone rubble with
window arches of dressed yellow stone. Slated roof with stone
copings to the gable ends. simple oblong building, parallel to
the street and set well back.
EXTERIOR: side facing the road has 2 round-arched windows with
latticed glazing bars. Between them a buttress; diagonal
buttress at each end. Round-arched doorway in east gable wall.
Gabled bell turret on apex of gable.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: boundary wall of stone rubble, the
eastern section with cemented top, that to west with a tiled
coping. At each end a square pier with low pyramidical cap,
the latter standing on a projecting stone slab. The right-hand
cap has been replaced in cement. Similar gate piers towards
the western end; pair of iron gates with open quatrefoil
panels and lily-head finials to the uprights.
The wooden extension at the right-hand end of the chapel is
not included in the listing.
HISTORY: White's `Directory of Devonshire' described this as
the Independent Chapel in Elmore Street (the old name for
Chapel Street), built in 1843 at a cost of ยป750.

Listing NGR: SS9586812816

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.