History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates and Gate Piers at Main Entrance to Tiverton Cemetery Including Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9119 / 50°54'42"N

Longitude: -3.4858 / 3°29'8"W

OS Eastings: 295638

OS Northings: 113546

OS Grid: SS956135

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.QSV8

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LP.MSB

Entry Name: Gates and Gate Piers at Main Entrance to Tiverton Cemetery Including Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 10 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384873

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485332

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9513 PARK ROAD, Tiverton
848-1/5/240 (East side)
Gates and gate piers at main
entrance to Tiverton Cemetery incl
boundary wall

GV II

Gates, gate piers at main entrance to Tiverton Cemetery,
including boundary wall extending for about 65m southwards
along Park Road. Probably 1855, or soon after, by GA Boyce of
Tiverton; gates replaced in late C19. Walls are of squared
stone rubble with flat stone coping, except for a short
quadrant section where the coping is of concrete.
Gate piers and a similar pier set into the wall are of stone
ashlar. Gate piers are tall and square in section, with
chamfered and stopped corners; projecting, chamfered plinths,
stepped pyramidial caps with small finials. Double iron gates
with fleurs-de-lys finials to the uprights; matching overthrow
lamp holder, now without the lamp.
To the right is a short, straight stretch of wall with inset
stone tablet inscribed THIS CEMETERY WAS OPENED IN 1855 &
ENLARGED IN 1895. Beyond it the quadrant wall sweeps outward,
finishing in a stretch of wall extending to the southern
boundary of the cemetery.
HISTORY: a letter written by GA Boyce to the Burial Board on
4.5.1858 refers to damage caused to the gates by high winds.
The gates were clearly of wood; Boyce would evidently have
preferred iron, had the money been available.


Listing NGR: SS9563813546

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.