This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9117 / 50°54'42"N
Longitude: -3.4852 / 3°29'6"W
OS Eastings: 295682
OS Northings: 113524
OS Grid: SS956135
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.QT1T
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LP.N1C
Entry Name: Mortuary Chapel in Tiverton Cemetery
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485334
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9513 PARK ROAD, Tiverton
848-1/5/242 (East side)
Mortuary chapel in Tiverton Cemetery
Mortuary chapel. 1855 by GA Boyce of Tiverton. Squared
purple-red stone rubble with Bath stone dressings. Slated
roof. Anglo-Norman style.
EXTERIOR: nave has 3 single light, round-headed windows on
each side, with 3 more on the apse. Flat buttresses between
and flanking the windows. At west end a round-arched doorway
with attached columns; double plank doors, studded and with
ornate iron strap-hinges. Above it a similar, single light
window. Stone cross on gable. On eastern gable the base of a
former stone bell turret. Gutters carried on stone corbel
tables carved with grotesque heads.
INTERIOR: has simple wooden pews at either side of a centre
aisle, the pew-ends carved with quatrefoils. Wooden alter with
trefoil-headed panels. Dado of upright planking. Arch-braced
roof, the feet of the braces resting on moulded stone corbels.
There may be patterned tiles under the fitted carpets.
The chapel contains an old wooden coffin-carriage with iron
wheels having solid rubber tyres. Brass maker's plate:
DOTTRIDGE BROS. LTD. DORSET WORKS. EAST ROAD, LONDON, N. this
was one of 2 chapels built by the Burial Board for the Parish
of Tiverton `according to the plans and drawings relating
thereto prepared by Mr Gideon Acland Boyce, the Architect to
the said Burial Board'; that for the nonconformists has been
demolished, that for the Church of England survives.
HISTORY: Boyce's drawing for the nonconformist chapel
(identical to the surviving one) is preserved in the devon
Record Office. It was approved in August 1855 and was to be
finished, along with the other chapel, lodge and entrance
gates, by 1 August 1856. Plans for re-seating both chapels
were prepared by William Rowe of Tiverton in 1891, this being
done, and the floors laid with decorative tiles, by 1892.
Listing NGR: SS9568213524
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings