This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8996 / 50°53'58"N
Longitude: -3.4884 / 3°29'18"W
OS Eastings: 295428
OS Northings: 112183
OS Grid: SS954121
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.RL2H
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.LS4
Plus Code: 9C2RVGX6+VJ
Entry Name: 46-60, St Andrew Street
Listing Date: 14 December 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485351
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9512 ST ANDREW STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/262 (East side)
14/12/72 Nos.46-60 (Even)
Terrace of 8 houses. About 1819. Painted brick fronts; left
side wall of stone rubble, right side wall partly of red
brick, partly of stone rubble. Exposed part of right gable end
at No.52 slate hung. Rear walls roughcast. Slated roofs,
tarred at Nos 46 & 60. 5 red brick chimneys on the ridge, the
old ones with projecting brick courses at the top forming
entablatures; that at No.60 reduced in height, that between
Nos 48 & 50 rebuilt in C20.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. designed as 4 mirrored pairs; each 1
window wide with doorways adjoining next ot the party wall.
original doors, where they survive, 4-panelled, the 2 lower
panels flush; Nos 50, 52, 56 & 60 have old cast-iron knockers.
Late C20 wooden glazed door at No.46, upper panels of original
doors glazed at Nos 52 & 56, late C20 wooden panelled door at
No.54; doors concealed by later porches at Nos 48 & 58. No.60
has a good gabled, slated wooden hood on brackets; Nos 46 & 50
have low-pitched gabled wooden hoods on brackets, the brackets
shaped at No.50. No.52 has an open fronted porch. Windows have
mostly 8-paned sashes in flush frames; 2-paned sashes at Nos
48 & 56.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: deeds of 30/31.12.1819 in the Knightshayes Estate
Office, Tiverton, relate to the sale by Matthew Blasdale of
Tiverton, frame smith, of part of the ground on which these
houses stand, `whereon the said Matthew Blasdale hath lately
erected and built a new messuage or dwellinghouse'. Deeds of
22/23.4.1822 relate to another house in the terrace `lately
built' by Isaac Warner of Tiverton, frame smith. John
Heathcoat, the lace manufacturer, was named as trustee in both
deeds and it seems reasonable to assume the 2 men were his
Heathcoat bought Warner's house in 1822 and by 1844 his estate
atlas (in the estate office) shows him owning the whole
terrace. The deeds describe the houses as having 28 foot
frontages, equivalent to a pair of the existing houses, but it
seems unlikely that Heathcoat rebuilt the whole terrace; it
was only 25 years old by 1844 and lacks the cast-iron window
sills that are a mark of Heathcoat's building elsewhere in the
Listing NGR: SS9542812183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings