This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9 / 50°54'0"N
Longitude: -3.4884 / 3°29'18"W
OS Eastings: 295431
OS Northings: 112228
OS Grid: SS954122
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.RL2B
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.DT1
Entry Name: Bridewell House Including Iron Railings
Listing Date: 12 February 1952
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384894
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485353
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9512 ST ANDREW STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/264 (East side)
12/02/52 Bridewell House including iron
(Formerly Listed as:
ST ANDREW'S STREET, Tiverton
Police Station (former))
Police station, converted to flats. 1846, restored 1978 by the
Devon Historic Buildings Trust. Local volcanic trap to the
rear, mostly stuccoed; front elevation ashlar. Slate roof
concealed behind parapet; end stacks with deep projecting
cornices; cast-iron rainwater goods. Italianate style. 2 rooms
wide. One room deep with central entrance and rear centre
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement. Symmetrical 3-bay front with
rusticated clasping pilasters to the first floor. Deep moulded
eaves cornice on dentil brackets with parapet above. Platband
at first-floor level. Centre bay broken forward and taller,
also has rusticated pilasters with the eaves cornice broken
out round them. Steps up to very tall, imposing, round-headed
doorway with hollow-chamfered rusticated arch and keyblock.
2-leaf panelled door with sunk panels and fanlight with small
panes and external grille. Granite blocks flank the steps up
to the front door. Horizontal ribbon window above doorway has
proud eaved architrave. Ground floor front windows are
tripartite with square-section mullions and deep sills on
Windows (all probably renewed) glazed with 12-pane hornless
sash in centre and 4-pane in outer lights. First-floor windows
have proud plain architraves and are glazed with 12-pane
sashes. Barred basement windows also glazed with 12-pane
sashes. End stacks behind ramped walls. Return walls are
blind, except for basement door down steps on right return.
The left return wall retains a painted pointing finger and
sign POLICE STATION.
Rear elevation ground floor not seen. First floor 12-pane
sashes with proud eared architraves and 4-pane casements to
rear of main block.
INTERIOR: not accessible at time of survey.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: iron railings to basement area have
diagonal standards and leaf finials.
This is an impressive building with some unusual and
boldly-executed architectural detail in the tradition of the
earlier C18 Ordnance Board..
Listing NGR: SS9543112228
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings