History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cemetery Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0814 / 51°4'53"N

Longitude: -4.0474 / 4°2'50"W

OS Eastings: 256681

OS Northings: 133336

OS Grid: SS566333

Mapcode National: GBR KR.D2H4

Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.C0Q

Entry Name: Cemetery Lodge

Listing Date: 29 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384996

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485455

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5633 BEAR STREET
684-1/3/18 (North side)
Cemetery Lodge

GV II

Cemetery lodge. 1856. To the designs of Richard Davie Gould
(Brooks). For the Barnstaple Burial Board. Snecked local stone
rubble with bathstone dressings; slate roof with some
surviving crested ridge tiles; stacks with stone shafts with
ashlar quoins. Tudor style. L-plan lodge, fronting Bear Street
and built within the cemetery walls. C20 bathroom addition to
rear in angle between the 2 blocks.
2 storeys. Picturesque roofscape with coped gables; stone
copings to chimney shafts. Stone mullioned windows with
chamfered mullions, mostly with transoms. Asymmetrical
3-window range, gabled to the front at the right with a tall,
gabled bellcote in the centre and a gabled half-dormer to the
left. Central plank front door with big strap hinges in stone
shouldered doorway with pyramid stops. Square 3-light bay
window to left with hipped slate roof. Canted bay window to
right of front door. 2-light windows to first floor with slit
window below bellcote. Other elevations preserve some original
windows.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the cemetery was founded by the Barnstaple
Burial Board in 1856. RD Gould was the town surveyor. An
unusually tall and ambitious adaptation of the Tudor style for
a cemetery chapel.
(Brooks C: Mortal Remains: Exeter: 1989-: 119).

Listing NGR: SS5668133336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.