History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Cemetery Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0816 / 51°4'53"N

Longitude: -4.0473 / 4°2'50"W

OS Eastings: 256692

OS Northings: 133360

OS Grid: SS566333

Mapcode National: GBR KR.D2J4

Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.C1Q

Entry Name: East Cemetery Chapel

Listing Date: 29 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384998

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485457

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5533 BEAR STREET
684-1/3/19 (North side)
East Cemetery Chapel

GV II

Cemetery chapel, one of an identical pair. 1856. To the
designs of Richard Davie Gould. Snecked local slatestone;
natural slate roof with crested ridge tiles. Decorated Gothic
style. Close to the entrance and on the same alignment as the
other chapel of the pair (qv). Shown on the OS map as the
Nonconformist chapel of the pair.
small 3-bay chapel with gabled porch in the centre on the
south side. Clasping battered buttresses at ends with low
buttress in the centre below the E window cill. Coped gables
with kneelers; coped plinth. E and W ends identical with
3-light window with hoodmould, carved corbel heads and cusped
roundels in the head tracery. Moulded string across E and W
ends rises to form cill below window. S side has coped gabled
porch with chamfered 2-centred arched doorway. Windows, 2 to S
side, 3 to N, are 2-light traceried windows. W end has later
doorway knocked in and conversion to toilet at west end.
INTERIOR: not inspected but may retain features of interest.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the cemetery was founded by the Barnstaple
Burial Board in 1856 (Brooks). RD Gould was the town surveyor.
(Brooks C: Mortal Remains: Exeter: 1989-: 119).


Listing NGR: SS5669233360

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.