History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Cemetery Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0816 / 51°4'53"N

Longitude: -4.0479 / 4°2'52"W

OS Eastings: 256650

OS Northings: 133354

OS Grid: SS566333

Mapcode National: GBR KR.D2CS

Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.BTW

Entry Name: West Cemetery Chapel

Listing Date: 29 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384999

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485458

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5533 BEAR STREET
684-1/3/20 (North side)
West Cemetery Chapel

GV II

Cemetery chapel, one of an identical pair. 1856. To the
designs of Richard Davie Gould. Snecked local slatestone;
natural slate roof with crested ridge tiles. Decorated Gothic
style. Close to the entrance and on the same alignment as the
other chapel of the pair (qv). Shown on the OS map as the
Anglican chapel of the pair. Small 3-bay chapel with gabled
porch in the centre on the S side.
clasping battered buttresses at ends with low buttress in the
centre below the E window cill. Coped gables with kneelers;
coped plinth. E and W ends identical with 3-light window with
hoodmould, carved corbel heads and cusped roundels in the head
tracery. Moulded string across E and W ends rises to form cill
below window. S side has coped gabled porch with chamfered
2-centred arched doorway. Windows, 2 to S side, 3 to N, are
2-light traceried windows. W end has later doorway knocked in.
INTERIOR: not inspected but may retain features of interest.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the cemetery was founded by the Barnstaple
Burial Board in 1856. RD Gould was the town surveyor.
(Brooks C: Mortal Remains: Exeter: 1989-: 119).

Listing NGR: SS5665033354

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.