This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0794 / 51°4'45"N
Longitude: -4.0613 / 4°3'40"W
OS Eastings: 255704
OS Northings: 133143
OS Grid: SS557331
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DBZ3
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.KL1
Entry Name: 27, Castle Street
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Last Amended: 29 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385097
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485559
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5533SE CASTLE STREET
684-1/7/89 (North East side)
(Formerly Listed as:
27 Castle Street (including No.12
Sunday school, now used as offices. 1894. By Lindley C
Bridgman of Brayford. Cream-coloured brick with relieving
arches of blue brick; dressings of stone and patterned tiles.
Slated roof with pierced red ridge-tiles.
3 storeys with garret. 6-window Gothic-style front to Castle
Street, 3 windows to Cross Street. Ground and 2nd storeys
(except in the altered ground storey to Cross Street) have
windows with pointed or round arches, the heads of the
openings being filled with solid panels; the windows
themselves are flat-headed and divided into 2 lights by
columns with pink shafts (probably of sandstone) and foliated
limestone capitals. Third storey has small paired windows,
also with pointed arches, each window flanked by attached
columns matching those below. Cross Street front has a similar
window in the gable, but with a round light in the head of the
Castle Street front has a dormer gable, centrally placed, with
5 stepped, flat-headed openings containing louvres. Panel of
yellow patterned tiles in apex of gable. Return front to left,
facing N down Castle Street, is 3-window range with a 4th
window on the splayed corner. Window pattern is similar to
that in the other 2 fronts, except that in the 2nd storey the
lights have round arches; patterned glazing with coloured
glass. Doorway on corner has short attached columns and a
round arch, within which is a trefoiled fanlight. Above the
door is a stone plaque inscribed: THE FEAR OF THE LORD IS THE
BEGINNING OF WISDOM.
HISTORICAL NOTE: these were built as the Jubilee Schools
belonging to the Congregational Chapel in Cross Street. They
replaced a slightly smaller building designed in similar style
and for the same purpose by RD Gould in 1858. In 1905 the
schools had 16 teachers, 211 scholars and 164 members of bible
(Gardiner WF: Barnstaple, 1837-97: 1897-: 100; Baxter J &
Baxter J: Barnstaple Yesterday: 1980-: PLS 10, 13; Barnstaple
Castle Records, plans & committee minutes: 1891-; Harper's
Listing NGR: SS5570433143
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings