This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0791 / 51°4'44"N
Longitude: -4.0615 / 4°3'41"W
OS Eastings: 255690
OS Northings: 133110
OS Grid: SS556331
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DBX0
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.KHZ
Entry Name: Queen Annes Walk
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385370
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485832
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5533SE THE STRAND
684-1/7/247 (South West side)
19/01/51 Queen Anne's Walk
Exchange, now provided with public seats. 1708 (dated statue),
possibly re-using earlier columns (Pevsner); roof probably
1859. Building has been attributed to William Talman
(Pevsner); restored 1986 by Herbert Read.
Cream freestone (probably Beerstone); hipped slate roof with
Originally a single colonnade, facing the quay (inlet since
filled in). Building (separately listed) attached to rear of
colonnade in 1859, perhaps replacing something earlier.
10-bay colonnade, left return with blind wall, right return
open. Inside the colonnade 2 doorways and 2 into attached
Single-storey. Sumptuously decorated. Fluted Tuscan columns,
paired at left and right ends, support an entablature with
pulminated frieze, parapet above, divided into rectangles with
carved armorial bearings and decorated with urns. 6th bay from
left broken forward with 2 pairs of fluted stone pillars
supporting a bracketed pedestal, carved with armorial bearings
and trophies, with a larger-than-lifesize statue of Queen Anne
holding an orb and sceptre. Plaque below statue records that
it was given by Robert Rolle of Stevenstone in 1708. Below
this structure is the Tome Stone (qv), placed here in 1909.
Inside colonnade rear wall decorated with plain pilasters.
Boarded roof to colonnade supported on c1859 cast-iron trusses
with roundel decoration.
HISTORICAL NOTE: an exceptional survival of Barnstaple's
flourishing mercantile history.
Listing NGR: SS5569033110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings