History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Building Behind Queen Annes Walk (Over 60's Club)

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0792 / 51°4'45"N

Longitude: -4.0616 / 4°3'41"W

OS Eastings: 255684

OS Northings: 133118

OS Grid: SS556331

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DBWZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.KGV

Entry Name: Building Behind Queen Annes Walk (Over 60's Club)

Listing Date: 31 December 1973

Last Amended: 29 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385373

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485835

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5533SE THE STRAND
684-1/7/244 (South West side)
31/12/73 Building behind Queen Anne's Walk
(Over-60s' Club)
(Formerly Listed as:
THE STRAND
Building behind Queen Anne's Walk
(Masonic Hall on map))

GV II

Former public baths, converted to Masonic Hall in 1868, now
club. Said to be 1859, the date of the public baths, but some
brickwork looks earlier. Attached to NW side of Queen Anne's
Walk (qv). Flemish bond brick construction, the SW elevation
originally rendered, the NE elevation (to The Strand),
designed to continue the scale of Queen Anne's Walk (qv),
cement-rendered and blocked out.
Roughly rectangular block consisting of 2 parallel halls,
roofed on a NW/SE axis divided by an entrance passage from
offices on the NE side. Main entrance from Queen Anne's Walk
into passage between halls and offices, entrance to offices in
NE side from The Strand.
Single-storey. Asymmetrical 5-bay NE elevation (to The Strand)
continues line of cornice and parapet of Queen Anne's Walk,
centre 3 bays are broken forward with chamfered, rusticated
pilasters. Windows with Gibbs surrounds and segmental heads
with triple keyblocks. Doorway in right-hand of centre bays,
C20 timber windows.
SW side, facing the river is 6 bays divided by pilasters with
round-headed recesses with keyblocks, the 2 outer bays
fenestrated with C20 timber windows. The exposed brickwork is
heavily repaired and the original, particularly on the NW
return, might be pre-Victorian. Two C20 timber windows onto
Queen Anne's Walk.
INTERIOR: 2 attractive late Victorian/Edwardian halls. The SW
hall has walls divided by giant engaged columns with a large
cornice and coved, ribbed ceiling. End bays have square wall
pillars with coffered ceiling and round-headed niche at NW end
and flat ceiling at SE end. NE hall has c1900 3-bay roof with
flat ceiling above collars of A-frame trusses which are held
on moulded corbels; Adam-style frieze above moulded picture
rail.


Listing NGR: SS5568433118

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.