History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School Coffee House Formerly Horwoods School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0795 / 51°4'46"N

Longitude: -4.0591 / 4°3'32"W

OS Eastings: 255862

OS Northings: 133151

OS Grid: SS558331

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DCJX

Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.DGP

Plus Code: 9C3Q3WHR+R9

Entry Name: Old School Coffee House Formerly Horwoods School

Listing Date: 19 January 1951

Last Amended: 29 September 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485567

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Tagged with: School building

Find accommodation in



684-1/9/97 (East side)
19/01/51 Old School Coffee House, formerly
Horwood's School
(Formerly Listed as:
(East side)
The Former Horwood's School)


School, now in use as restaurant. 1659, restored 1917 (date
plaque). Local stone rubble; slate gable-ended roof; left end
stack with old brick corner shaft.
C17 plan intact. Single schoolroom on the ground floor, heated
at left end, with cross passage entrance to right. Stair in
rear projection rises from end of passage. First floor divided
into 2 rooms, the left one heated from the same stack, the
right one unheated.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2-window range, one window
to the ground floor. Fine doorway to right with original
moulded frame with elaborate carved stops and original
panelled studded door. 4-light window to left, probably 1917,
with ovolo-moulded timber mullions, original chamfered stone
cill and the remnants of the original stone hoodmould. 2
first-floor original 3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned windows,
all windows glazed with C20 diamond-leaded panes. Slate plaque
over door carved "A H 1659" with coat of arms and inscription:
"this school was founded and built for 20 poor maids by Alice
Horwood, restored 1917".
INTERIOR: schoolroom divided from passage by original screen
with moulded planks. Original moulded doorway with elaborate
stops blocked and replaced with new doorway. Schoolroom has
fine moulded segmental-headed stone fireplace with plaster
decoration above: the initials AH, Tudor Rose and Prince of
Wales' feathers. 3-light mullioned window on rear wall (now
internal) is probably 1917. Narrow moulded plaster cornice
breaks forward slightly on rear wall. Heavy moulded timber
attached to screen retains some large pegs for coats and hats
and may be original.
Stair with turned newels, probably 1917. Ovolo-moulded doorway
with bar stops to doorway at top of stairs. Larger upper room
has apparently original internal porch. Upper rooms divided by
original moulded plank screen with original moulded stopped
doorway and plank door with strap hinges, similar door with
closet adjacent to fireplace. Coved plaster ceiling over both
rooms with slender moulded cornice to match the one
downstairs. Recess next to stack may have contained original
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building stands adjacent to Horwood's
almshouses in Church Lane (qv). The school was founded by
Alice Horwood's will of 1652 in buildings erected together
with the almshouses. A new building was erected for this
school and the Blue Coat Boy's School in 1844 at North Walk,
and the two schools were amalgamated. In 1882 the girls were
moved to the new National School (Bovett).
This is an exceptionally well-preserved small C17 charity

Listing NGR: SS5586233151

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.