This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0798 / 51°4'47"N
Longitude: -4.0591 / 4°3'32"W
OS Eastings: 255861
OS Northings: 133181
OS Grid: SS558331
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DCJT
Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.DGL
Entry Name: Paiges Almshouses
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Last Amended: 29 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385106
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485568
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS558331SE CHURCH LANE
684-1/9/96 (East side)
19/01/51 Paige's Almshouses
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.1 & 2)
Range of 4 almshouses. 1656, C20 additions to left and rear.
Founded by Elizabeth Paige. Painted brick front roughly in
English bond; small painted stone rubble section at left-hand
end. Slated roof. Originally 4 dwellings for 8 inmates.
2 storeys. Main building has 4 windows per storey plus 4
doorways. Section to left has one upper-storey window.
Doorways have double ovolo-moulded, square-headed wood frames
with elaborately carved stops; ribbed and studded plank doors,
The second from left a near-replica of the original. Slated
wood canopy above each door. Windows (restored) are of 4
lights in ground storey, 3 above; ovolo-moulded wood mullions
with diamond-shaped leaded panes, each window having a
casement with ornate iron hinges. Window in section to left
has a 2-light wood casement with pegged joists; probably late
C17 or later. Left gable wall has 2 mullioned windows in the
style of those in the main range.
These almshouses make an important contribution to the C17
character of Church Lane, being adjacent to Horwood's
Listing NGR: SS5586133181
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings