This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0885 / 51°5'18"N
Longitude: -4.0629 / 4°3'46"W
OS Eastings: 255624
OS Northings: 134158
OS Grid: SS556341
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CQL8
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C7.QZM
Plus Code: 9C3Q3WQP+CV
Entry Name: The Old School
Listing Date: 5 August 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485660
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5534SE LADYWELL, Pilton
684-1/2/329 (East side)
05/08/93 The Old School
School, now art gallery and studios. Dated 1840; enlarged.
Stone rubble, squared in parts; red brick dressings at rear.
Slated roof. Late C19 red brick chimney at rear. A long range
with cross-wing at left-hand end; with projecting entrance
porch adjoining wing. Porch and cross-wing probably added in
1860s or 1870s.
2 storeys with garret 4-window range. The original long range
has 3 windows per storey, all with flat arches containing
well-cut voussoirs of brown, purple and grey-green local
stone. All but one have 3-light wood casements with thin
chamfered mullions; 4 panes per light with horizontal glazing
bars in outer lights, except that middle upper-storey window
has been altered to inert opening casements; all the middle
lights have been altered in this way. Upper-storey left-hand
window has 3-paned sashes. Between storeys is a stone plaque
inscribed 'PILTON SCHOOL A.D. 1840.'
The right-hand ground-storey window has been a doorway at some
time and may have been the original entrance. Porch has
doorway with moulded limestone surround and pointed arch;
above it a stone shield with monogram AA. Upper-storey window
of limestone with 3 Tudor-arched lights and straight hood
mould. Crenellated parapet designed to resemble a Dutch gable.
Wing has moulded pointed-arched doorway to left. 2-light
limestone window to right, another of 5 lights in 2nd storey,
and a third of 3 lights in gable; all have Tudor-arched lights
and straight hoodmoulds, the hoodmould of the gable window
rising to enclose a blank shield. Gable has moulded coping and
kneelers; apex has 3 panels with cinquefoiled, Tudor-arched
heads. At right-hand end of the building is a stone Tudor
archway leading to an external staircase. INTERIOR not
Listing NGR: SS5562434158
Other nearby listed buildings