History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rock House the Rock

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0881 / 51°5'17"N

Longitude: -4.0616 / 4°3'41"W

OS Eastings: 255707

OS Northings: 134107

OS Grid: SS557341

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CQW6

Mapcode Global: FRA 26C7.ZCQ

Entry Name: Rock House the Rock

Listing Date: 31 December 1973

Last Amended: 29 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385285

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485747

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5534SE PILTON STREET, Pilton
684-1/2/362 (East side)
31/12/73 No.77
Rock House, The Rock
(Formerly Listed as:
PILTON STREET, Pilton
(East side)
No.77)

GV II

House. 1798 rebuilding by William Davy of an earlier core.
Front wall painted Flemish bond brick, rear and end walls cob;
slate roof, gabled at ends; stone rear lateral stack with
set-offs with rendered shafts. Single-depth plan and lateral
stack suggests 3-room and passage arrangement with hall to
left of centre, 1798 rebuild preserves similar layout with
straight stair rising from a wide entrance passage.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical but regular 4-bay front with delicate
dentil cornice. C20 half-glazed door to right of centre with
plain porch hood of an C18 character. 3 ground- and 4
first-floor 16-pane timber sash windows, the left-hand bay
windows with horns. Rear elevation has 3 late C20 buttresses.
INTERIOR: altered during repairs of 1983 with some replacement
of joinery and stair rebuilt. Lateral stack fireplace,
revealed in 1983 was large with charred lintel (information
from the owners).
HISTORICAL NOTE: stair timber found during 1983 renovations
inscribed "William Davy built this house and laid me here,
1798." Documents in the possession of the owners indicate that
the house was in the ownership of Pilton Abbey and was
acquired by the Rolle family.


Listing NGR: SS5570934107

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.