History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

37, Pilton Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0877 / 51°5'15"N

Longitude: -4.0621 / 4°3'43"W

OS Eastings: 255673

OS Northings: 134069

OS Grid: SS556340

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CQS1

Mapcode Global: FRA 26C7.Z44

Entry Name: 37, Pilton Street

Listing Date: 19 January 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385278

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485740

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5534 PILTON STREET, Pilton
684-1/2/358 (West side)
19/01/51 No.37

GV II

House. Early C17 with later alterations. Formerly a single
dwelling with No.36 (qv) adjoining to the S, but the 2
buildings are said to have been rented and treated separately
until 1711 (Reed, p.149). Owned by the Pilton United
Charities.
Mass wall construction, rendered; slate roof, gabled at ends;
brick end stacks. Main range single-depth, 2 rooms wide with a
central passage taken out of the width of the left-hand room.
Present staircase is C20, rear or left-hand room, but may be
in position of original.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window range. All windows are
12-pane horned sashes. Front door to left of centre has 6
fielded panels, upper panels glazed, with sash adjacent to
left. 2 ground-floor windows to right of front door, 2
first-floor windows.
INTERIOR: ground-floor right has room with (incomplete) single
rib ceiling. First floor has one old oak door-frame with a
stud door and step down into first-floor left room which has a
C17 plaster wall frieze. First-floor right has a coved ceiling
and rib patterns on the walls.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the earliest documentation for the house,
mentioned by Reed, is in a Trust Deed of 1577 in which several
Pilton charities were merged. From 1711 to 1845 it was rented
out as one dwelling with No.36 (qv).
(Reed MA: Pilton, its Past and Present: Barnstaple: 1985-:
149; Transactions of the Devonshire Association: Diver B:
1914-: 193).

Listing NGR: SS5567334069

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.