This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0876 / 51°5'15"N
Longitude: -4.061 / 4°3'39"W
OS Eastings: 255753
OS Northings: 134047
OS Grid: SS557340
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CR25
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C7.ZNZ
Plus Code: 9C3Q3WQQ+2J
Entry Name: Pilton House
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485770
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5534 PILTON STREET, Pilton
684-1/2/383 (East side (off))
19/01/51 Pilton House
Large house, now residential home. 1746 on documentary
evidence, but probably built on site of an earlier house
(Reed) and remodelled in first half of C19 and again c1900.
Plastered; hipped slate roof behind parapet; stacks with
rendered shafts with moulded cornices and old pots.
Deep plan, 2 rooms wide, the front block with probably C19
canted bays at either end and a central entrance. Service
courtyard to NW; C20 single-storey wing added to NE.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 7-bay front. Plain parapet with moulded
string below and simple coping. Rusticated quoins to left and
right; platband at first-floor level. Windows have moulded
architraves. Steps up to central Doric porch with tiled roof
and 2 columns to either side and a pedimented gable with
triglyph frieze, guttae and moulded brackets. 6-panel door.
All windows glazed with 9 over 9-pane sashes except the outer
ground-floor windows which have been altered to high transomed
casements. Similar casements to canted end on E side.
Return elevations also have sash windows with lower-roofed
service block attached at N end with gabled slate roof and end
stack with old pots. A wing at right angles (on the same axis
as the main range of the house) projects to the W and fronts
onto a small serice or stable yard with a tall coped wall to
INTERIOR: only partially inspected, C19 joinery survives and
there may be other features of interest.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Reed records that the house was built in 1746
for Robert Incledon, 2 successive Incledons who lived at the
house were Recorders of Barnstaple. James Whyte, who owned the
house from 1806 for over 40 years was probably responsible for
some of the remodelling.
(Reed, MA: Pilton, its Past and Present: Barnstaple: 1985-:
Listing NGR: SS5575034048
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings