History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Johns Wood House

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwark, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4318 / 51°25'54"N

Longitude: -0.0784 / 0°4'42"W

OS Eastings: 533676

OS Northings: 172060

OS Grid: TQ336720

Mapcode National: GBR HM.GX9

Mapcode Global: VHGRD.L8DQ

Entry Name: St Johns Wood House

Listing Date: 3 October 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385408

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470801

Location: Southwark, London, SE21

County: London

District: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: College

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: South Dulwich St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Norwood

Listing Text


SOUTHWARK

TQ3372 COLLEGE ROAD
636-1/16/226 (West side)
03/10/90 No.100
St John's Wood House

II

Vicarage. Dated 1867. By Charles Barry Junior. Coursed stone
with Bath stone dressings. Slate roof with 3 courses of grey
slates to 2 of green; gabled dormers with decorative
barge-boards; clustered stone stacks. Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: 2 to 3 storeys with irregular fenestration. Entrance
front has central gable with pierced barge-boards and finial.
Gabled porch with barge-boards and brackets. Windows of
various sizes (some with mullions) have pointed arches and
vine or floral decoration. Moulded stone plinth; stone strings
between floors with rosettes at intervals.
Garden front has large gable to left with pointed-arched
window beneath; French window flanked by sidelights. Set back
on left is canted bay rising through 3 floors with hexagonal
turret surmounted by iron finial. 2-storey canted bay to
right. Pointed-arched sashed window with floral moulding.
Left return has 2 gables, the right one with a central window
with AD 1867 between a mullioned and transomed window above
and doorcase beneath. Larger left gable has window in similar
style with crest of Alleyn's foundation beneath. French window
to ground floor.
INTERIOR: retains staircase with turned balusters and 6
panelled doors with chamfered architrave with trefoil motif
above paterae.
Built as vicarage to adjoining Church of St Stephen, College
Road (qv) by same architect. Windows boarded-up at time of
survey.

Listing NGR: TQ3367672060

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.