This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4368 / 51°26'12"N
Longitude: -0.0812 / 0°4'52"W
OS Eastings: 533470
OS Northings: 172616
OS Grid: TQ334726
Mapcode National: GBR HM.86R
Mapcode Global: VHGRD.J4YV
Plus Code: 9C3XCWP9+PG
Entry Name: Dulwich Toll House
Listing Date: 1 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470820
Location: Southwark, London, SE21
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: South Dulwich St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3372 COLLEGE ROAD
636-1/16/234 (East side)
01/07/88 Dulwich Toll House
Toll house. c1821. For Dulwich College. Flemish bond brick
with gabled roof of fishscale tiles; brick ridge stack.
PLAN: cruciform plan with C20 gabled cross wing extension to
east in matching style.
EXTERIOR: one storey, north and south elevations originally 3
bays. Segmental-arched doorway to porch at west with lancet
windows to sides and C19 4-panelled inner door; lower C20
glazed extension to porch. Westernmost bays of each long
elevation have C19 canted bay windows with transomed lights.
Other windows are casements with slightly cambered,
gauged-brick arches and glazing bars.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: a toll was first established on road across
Dulwich Common in 1789 and is now the only functioning example
in Greater London.
Listing NGR: TQ3347072616
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings