This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4687 / 51°28'7"N
Longitude: -0.0914 / 0°5'29"W
OS Eastings: 532663
OS Northings: 176145
OS Grid: TQ326761
Mapcode National: GBR RW.MN
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.CBJX
Plus Code: 9C3XFW95+FC
Entry Name: Maudsley Hospital Administration Block
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470862
Location: St. Giles, Southwark, London, SE5
Electoral Ward/Division: Brunswick Park
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Camberwell St Giles with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3276 DENMARK HILL
636-1/11/280 (East side)
Maudsley Hospital, Administration
Psychiatric hospital. Planned and designed between 1911, when
the site was acquired, to 1923. Laid out by William Charles
Clifford Smith, the engineer for the Asylums Board of the LCC.
Smith was assisted by LC Gregory, who had consulted with Henry
Maudsley, the noted pioneer of psychiatric hospitals, and
Frederick Mott, who was appointed pathologist to the Asylums
Board in 1895.
MATERIALS: red Southwater brick in Flemish bond with Portland
stone dressings. Hipped roofs of slate.
PLAN: 23-window range, organised on a pavilioned plan with end
and centre units. Main entrance in centre unit. 2 storeys over
basement. 3-window range to all projecting pavilions.
Main entrance of Portland stone, flat-arched with projecting
cornice and architrave, flat-arched window to either side with
similar surrounds having, in addition, a large rectangular
block between lintel and cornice, perhaps originally intended
for sculpture. Windows above are segmental-arched with eared
and shouldered architraves. This centre treated as a 'distyle
in antis' portico of the Tuscan order; in parapet above are
cut the words "The Maudsley Hospital".
All ground-floor windows in intermediate range flat-arched
with flush stone surrounds and pediments consisting of raking
cornice to centre lights only. The projecting end bays have
segmental-arched windows on ground floor, with eared and
shouldered architrave and keyed lintel; flat-arched windows
above with similar surrounds; flush stone corner quoins.
Remaining windows have plain stone lintels.
End pavilions terminate in pediments pierced by one oval light
each, the lights ornamented with palm fronds in stone.
High-hipped roof above entrance range has a flat-arched
dormer, a later insertion, and above a cupola, square in plan
with rebated corners, and a pediment similar to those on the
ground-floor windows to each face. Second entrance to
right-hand end pavilion, set in architrave with projecting
Fielded and corniced stacks to left return only and on 4th
window range; ridge stacks on line with ends of centre
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Late C20 annexes to left and right returns and rear and
attached railings enclosing a shallow porch to either side of
entrance are not of interest and are not included.
The hospital was the first and most influential example of its
type and thus has great historical interest.
Listing NGR: TQ3266376145
Other nearby listed buildings