History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 4, 10, 12 and 18 and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwark, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4978 / 51°29'52"N

Longitude: -0.0911 / 0°5'28"W

OS Eastings: 532601

OS Northings: 179379

OS Grid: TQ326793

Mapcode National: GBR RK.P7

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.CMP4

Entry Name: Numbers 4, 10, 12 and 18 and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 17 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385520

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470919

Location: Southwark, London, SE1

County: London

District: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: Chaucer

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Southwark Holy Trinity and St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Bermondsey

Listing Text


SOUTHWARK

TQ3279 FALMOUTH ROAD
636-1/5/335 (West side)
Nos.4, 10, 12 AND 18
and attached railings

GV II

4 terraced houses, now converted to flats. 1835-41, altered
C20. Brick in Flemish bond with stucco facing and dressings.
Roofs parapeted.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys over basement and 2 windows each, making
for a 16-window range to the long block. Original entrances
and numbering altered during recent conversion into flats.
Ground-floor openings are round-arched, those to current and
former entrances are larger than the pair of windows to the
side of each. Sill band to 1st floor, where the flat-arched
windows are set in shallow segmental-arched recesses. Gauged
brick lintels to 2nd-floor windows. Continuous entablature to
parapet. Stacks to party walls. 6x6 sashes of an authentic
design to all upper-floor windows; many ground-floor glazing
bars of an authentic design as well. Some entrances flanked by
Tuscan antae.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron area railings.
Nos 4-40 (even) Falmouth Road (qv) form a good group and were
originally called Taunton Place and Queen's Terrace (the
latter corresponding to the southern part of the surviving
row). The terraces were renamed Brunswick Street in 1851-2 and
Falmouth Road in 1867.


Listing NGR: TQ3260179379

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.