This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4979 / 51°29'52"N
Longitude: -0.0911 / 0°5'27"W
OS Eastings: 532605
OS Northings: 179384
OS Grid: TQ326793
Mapcode National: GBR RK.P7
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.CMQ3
Entry Name: Surrey Dispensary
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470921
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Chaucer
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark Holy Trinity and St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3279 FALMOUTH ROAD
636-1/5/338 (North West side)
Dispensary. c1840. Stucco, scored to imitate banded
rustication and painted.
Single storey. Segmental-arched door to left with a narrow
round-arched light to the side; 3 round-arched windows to the
right, before rebated front wall, which angles back to form
join with No.42 Trinity Street (qv), and then 3 more
round-arched openings. Parapet over entrance with inscription
giving the date of the foundation of the Dispensary, in C20
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: founded in 1777, The Surrey Dispensary let
premises in Union Street in 1787. According to an 1840
prospectus its aims were 'visitations' to 'lying-in women',
the sick and injured. It was one of several such charities
operating in Victorian Southwark and is thought to be the
oldest in London.
Listing NGR: TQ3260579384
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings