This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4504 / 51°27'1"N
Longitude: -0.0507 / 0°3'2"W
OS Eastings: 535544
OS Northings: 174185
OS Grid: TQ355741
Mapcode National: GBR JF.9W7
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.2SJZ
Plus Code: 9C3XFW2X+5P
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385617
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471021
Location: Southwark, London, SE23
Electoral Ward/Division: Forest Hill
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Honor Oak Park, St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3574SE HONOR OAK PARK
636-1/65/442 Church of St Augustine
Anglican church. 1872-3. By William Oakley. Tower completed in
1888. The north vestry added in 1894 and the outer north aisle
in 1900, both by Vincent John Grose.
MATERIALS: Kentish ragstone with ashlar detail. Roof of slate.
STYLE: Gothic Revival in an Early English style.
PLAN: tall nave with aisles, south transept, apsidal east end
and Lady Chapel to the south side of the chancel (later
additions do not impinge on the basic plan of the original
church, the outer aisle having been partitioned to form a
EXTERIOR: south west tower, set one bay from west end, is of
three stages with crenellated parapet, two lancets to bell
chamber, lancet to first stage and arched door with carved
image of St Augustine above. Angle buttresses and curved south
west stair turret. West end has diagonal buttresses. Plate
INTERIOR: the braced timber roof supported on corbels which
interrupt the string course at the base of the clerestory and,
below that, the nave arcade is carried by round piers with
circular heads. The detail is sparse but the spatial
FITTINGS: a vigorous High Victorian pulpit, said to have come
from another church, and a font to match. Arcaded reredos by
Grose, added 1889. Good choir stalls and encaustic tiling in
the chancel, with pews retained in nave.
The church stands in a fine position at the top of a wooded
hill, its design enhanced by the picturesque setting.
(Clarke BFL: Parish Churches of London: 1966-).
Listing NGR: TQ3554474185
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings