This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4535 / 51°27'12"N
Longitude: -0.0466 / 0°2'47"W
OS Eastings: 535824
OS Northings: 174531
OS Grid: TQ358745
Mapcode National: GBR JF.4YF
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.4QQM
Entry Name: Mortuary Chapels, Camberwell New Cemetery
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378388
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470689
Location: Southwark, London, SE23
Electoral Ward/Division: Peckham Rye
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Honor Oak Park, St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3574NE BRENCHLEY GARDENS
636-1/63/116 (South East side)
Mortuary Chapels, Camberwell New
Anglican and nonconformist mortuary chapels. Dated 1928.
Designed by Aston Webb and his son, Maurice; Messrs Galbraith
MATERIALS: coursed rubble masonry with dressed stone; hipped
roof with flaring eaves of green slate laid in diminishing
PLAN: 3-part composition with tower in the centre, the bottom
pierced by a round-arched carriageway; to either side the
chapels, that to left, or east, Anglican, that to right,
EXTERIOR: carriageway set in gable facing, from which rises a
tower with a square lower stage, having buttresses of 3
setbacks; pierced by double lancet light bell louvres; top
stage is octagonal in plan, with clock face; corner buttresses
from below continue above parapet to lower stage to form
corner, flying buttresses; the whole tower tapers slightly.
Above the carriageway, set in niche of the gable, is a
Broad buttresses to either side of carriageway mark start of
chapels proper, which have identical, mirror-image elevations:
clerestory tucked below eaves of 6 windows set in stone band,
all flat-arched. Gable facing cross wings at either end, each
lit by a round-arched, 2 light, traceried window.
To return of each cross wing a single-storey, gable facing
extension which serves as a narthex to the chapel naves;
entrances via one round-arched door, sub-ordered, the boarded
wood door of original design.
The rear elevations are identical to the fronts, except for
single-storey vestries which flank the carriageway and have
one round-arched entrance each; to side of each vestry
entrance is a triple window with stone mullions. Gutters to
eaves of original design, as are several rainwater heads.
INTERIOR: of former Anglican Chapel: furnishings intact, and
include a reredos to tower wall; cross wings have
quadripartite groin vaulting.
A stone plinth on the east return of the carriageway bears a
commemorative inscription and dedication: Borough of
Camberwell. This stone was laid by the Worshipful Mayor of
Camberwell, Counsillor HC Thompson, JP, on the 6th of October,
1928. Chairman Counc. W Brenchley, JP, Vice Chairman, Counc.
CW Chessell. Aldermen, A Green, FJ Parce, HW Smyth, WFS
Vicary, Cousillors, JW Akam, GF Bushelll, EH Davy, GE
Deighton, AT Dyer MBE, C Galvin, JA Garner, WH Graham, JP, JW
Lucas, E Miatt, GJ Maloney, JP, Elizabeth Morris, WO Bolger,
AJ Percy, SAF Pulley, EG Watson, E Wray, Sir Aston Webb RA and
Son, Architects, CE Newton, Town Clerk, Messrs Galbraith Bros,
HISTORICAL NOTE: the cemetery opened in 1929, the result of 3
years planning. Initial estimates put the cost at 10,000.
Webb was appointed architect by 11 January 1928.
Gothic in design, but with such a meticulous attention to
detail, material, and workmanship as to belong, clearly and
unmistakably, to an Arts and Crafts tradition.
Form a group with the Lodge and Waiting Room to the north, and
the Entrance Gates from Brenchley Gardens (qqv).
Listing NGR: TQ3582474531
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings