This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4941 / 51°29'38"N
Longitude: -0.101 / 0°6'3"W
OS Eastings: 531928
OS Northings: 178946
OS Grid: TQ319789
Mapcode National: GBR PL.GL
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.6QG0
Plus Code: 9C3XFVVX+JJ
Entry Name: Metropolitan Tabernacle
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471140
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Newington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3178 NEWINGTON BUTTS
636-1/7/537 (West side)
27/09/72 Metropolitan Tabernacle
Baptist church with offices behind. 1859-61, 1898 (facade),
extensively rebuilt c1959. By WW Pocock; facade by Searle and
Hayes. For CH Spurgeon, the popular preacher.
MATERIALS: coursed ragstone with ashlar dressings, banded
rustication to ground floor; blocking course to sections
either side of portico.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 11 bays. Giant hexastyle Corinthian
portico with pediment and coffered ceiling, raised to street
on rusticated stone plinth, with entablature with dentil and
modillioned cornice continuing across outer sections; frieze
to front of portico inscribed with name of building. 3 central
doors; ground floor round-headed windows in round-arched
recesses have voussoirs and radial glazing to heads; outer
bays with through ways. 1st floor has moulded architraves to
windows with glazing bars, the 5 central ones being
round-headed and blind with swags in panels beneath bracketed
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The facade (for which it is listed) was a reconstruction by
Searle and Hayes after fire of 1898 of WW Pocock's church of
1859-61 (of which portico alone survives). Modern building
behind facade a rebuilding of c1959, following war damage.
Listing NGR: TQ3192878946
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings