This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4927 / 51°29'33"N
Longitude: -0.1015 / 0°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 531897
OS Northings: 178787
OS Grid: TQ318787
Mapcode National: GBR PM.C3
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.6R63
Entry Name: Railings, Gates and Piers to Old St Marys Churchyard
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385731
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471141
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Newington
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Newington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3178 NEWINGTON BUTTS
636-1/7/538 (North West side)
Railings, gates and piers to Old St
Railings, gates and piers to Old St Mary's Churchyard. c1873.
Cast into the locks is the name of Young and Co., Founders,
Pimlico. Cast-iron, with brick in Flemish bond and stone
coping to low wall; piers in English bond. Gothic Revival
The structure runs the length of the old churchyard, along
Newington Butts. 25 bays in all, with 2 gates; short return to
Churchyard Row. At far ends are piers, square in section, with
stone capstones; railings set on black brick wall, with
chamfered stone coping. Each bay framed by a pair of thick
uprights, square in section, with heads twisting into flower
petals; a diagonal brace to rear of each. The intermediate
uprights have spear points and twisted tridents. Top rails
treated as floral frieze.
The continuation of the fence along Churchyard Row dates to
the late C20 and is not included.
Built when the medieval church was rebuilt on a site further
south, along Kennington Park Road (qv), and the churchyard
became a public garden.
Listing NGR: TQ3189778787
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings