History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Wilfrid

A Grade II Listed Building in Pool, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9024 / 53°54'8"N

Longitude: -1.6299 / 1°37'47"W

OS Eastings: 424415

OS Northings: 445202

OS Grid: SE244452

Mapcode National: GBR KR19.XV

Mapcode Global: WHC8Y.Y51N

Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid

Listing Date: 20 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385759

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471169

Location: Pool, Leeds, LS21

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Pool

Built-Up Area: Pool

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Pool and Arthington

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Leathley

Listing Text

SE 14 NW POOL MAIN STREET
(West side)
1495/1/10012
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

II

Parish church. 1838-40, with chancel and porch added in 1891. Designed by R D Chantrell. Coursed dressed stone with Welsh slate roofs and raised coped gables with kneelers. Plinth, corner buttress. West tower with octagonal stone spire and flanking vestries, broad nave with added semi-circular aspe and wooden gabled porch. West tower front has tall, narrow pointed arched doorway with above a single pointed arch bell opening to each face, with large clock face on south and east sides. Above octagonal broached stone spire. Either side of tower single storey vestries with hipped roofs, that to south with original lancet to south front. North vestry has been enlarged to form a parish-room with C20 casement windows. North front has 4 pairs of lancet windows. East front has semi-circular apse, added 1891, with three single lancets linked by a continuous cill band, and dentilated eaves cornice. South front has projecting gabled porch, added 1891, with ornate wooden sides and gable. To right three pairs of lancets and to left a single lancet, all with shallow buttresses between. INTERIOR has boarded wooden roof with decorated f queen post trusses. Double chamfered chancel arch with responds, complex braced wooden roof to chancel. Original wooden pews with later wooden choir stalls. Ornate wooden pulpit. Iron altar rail. Early C20 organ. Circular stone font with broad stem and decorated bowl. Single wall monument to Henry Atkinson, 1743, to right of chancel arch. Most windows have good quality stained glass.

Listing NGR: SE2441545202

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.