This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4713 / 51°28'16"N
Longitude: -0.054 / 0°3'14"W
OS Eastings: 535259
OS Northings: 176494
OS Grid: TQ352764
Mapcode National: GBR JD.32D
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.08TZ
Plus Code: 9C3XFWCW+GC
Entry Name: Sassoon House
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385862
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471281
Location: Southwark, London, SE15
Electoral Ward/Division: Nunhead
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Peckham St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3576 ST MARY'S ROAD
636-1/12/725 (East side)
Block of flats. 1934. By E Maxwell Fry; interior arrangements
in collaboration with Elizabeth Denby. Outer walls of concrete
with cork insulation inside. 2 rows of stanchions down the
spine of the building form the main supports, the beams
projecting as cantilevers to either side; floors suspended
between these beams. The walls have shallow foundations, the
main weight of the structure being carried on the stanchions.
The concrete is reinforced. Roof parapeted, recently
STYLE: International Modern
PLAN: rectangular in plan.
EXTERIOR: 5 storeys; projecting, glazed stair tower to the
north, 6 storeys providing access to roof. Continuous
balconies to north from which each flat entered; recessed
balconies and strip windows to the south; projecting balconies
to end bays. Spur wall with words R.E.SASSOON HOUSE enclosing
parking area to north. All windows are flat-arched. Recent
alterations to original glazing and parapet. Horseman in red,
black and white vitrolite to stair hall, designed by Hans
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: conceived as part of a larger housing complex
to be centred on the Pioneer Health Centre, now Southwark
Adult Education Institute, St Mary's Road (qv), and partly
funded by charitable donations from Lady Sassoon; these
working-class flats were intended to be self-financing.
Notices in the architectural press at the time of completion
praised the planning and in particular what were considered to
be 'substantial living rooms', each of which opens onto a
balcony that was intended as a sheltered play area for
children. Unusually each kitchen was fitted with standard
units and a combination heater/cooking stove; each flat had a
separate bathroom at a time when baths were usually located in
the kitchen. An important early instance of working-class
housing in a Modernist idiom.
(Architect's Journal, 26 April 1934; Architect and Building
News, 23 November 1934).
Listing NGR: TQ3525976494
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings