This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5049 / 51°30'17"N
Longitude: -0.088 / 0°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 532797
OS Northings: 180177
OS Grid: TQ327801
Mapcode National: GBR SG.DP
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.FFBN
Entry Name: Mary Sheridan House (Part) and Area Railings
Listing Date: 6 December 1949
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385874
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471293
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Grange
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Saviour with All Hallows Southwark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3280SE ST THOMAS STREET
636-1/17/736 (North side)
06/12/49 Nos.11 AND 13
Mary Sheridan House (part) and area
(Formerly Listed as:
ST THOMAS'S STREET
2 houses of a terrace of 3, now one administrative complex.
Early C18. Mixed reddish and yellow brick with stucco bands
and slate mansard with dormers behind brick parapet.
3 storeys, attic and sunk basement, 3 bays. Timber doorcases
with pulvinated friezes and console bracketed modillion
cornices. 6-panelled doors recessed in panelled jambs with
cornice heads, No.13 with patterns to fanlight. Gauged, flat
brick arches to revealed sash windows with glazing bars to all
floors, those to No.13 2nd floor in flush boxed frames. Stucco
band above ground and 2nd floors.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron area railings with urn and
spearhead finials dated 1852.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally houses for the receiver (No.11),
and minister (No.13) of old St Thomas's Hospital. Now, with
Nos 15 (qv), 17 & 19 (not included), they form administrative
offices for Guy's Hospital.
Listing NGR: TQ3279780181
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings