This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5049 / 51°30'17"N
Longitude: -0.0879 / 0°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 532806
OS Northings: 180173
OS Grid: TQ328801
Mapcode National: GBR SG.DQ
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.FFDP
Entry Name: Mary Sheridan House (Part) and Attached Area Railings
Listing Date: 6 December 1949
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471294
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Grange
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Saviour with All Hallows Southwark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3280SE ST THOMAS STREET
636-1/17/737 (North side)
Mary Sheridan House (part) and
attached area railings
(Formerly Listed as:
ST THOMAS'S STREET
House in terrace of 3, now one administrative complex. Early
C18 with C19 extension. Mixed yellow and red brick with stucco
bands and slate mansard with dormers behind brick parapet.
3 storeys, attic and sunk basement, 4 bays. Slightly recessed
(later) right-hand bay has door and 1st-floor window in
segmental-headed recess. Timber doorcase similar to Nos 11 &
13 (qv) with pulvinated frieze and console bracketed modillion
cornice. 6-panelled door recessed in panelled jambs with
cornice head and overlight. Gauged flat brick arches to sash
windows with glazing bars to all floors, those in right hand
bay revealed, all others in flush boxed frames.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron area railings with urn and
spearhead finials dated 1852.
Originally the house of the apothecary of old St Thomas's
Hospital. Now, with Nos 11 & 13 (qv) and Nos 17 & 19 (not
included) form administrative offices for Guy's Hospital.
Listing NGR: TQ3280880175
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings